Demand Logic is an award winning company on a mission to get buildings
Our platform streams real-time data from the controls systems of big
commercial buildings. We use pioneering modelling, analytics and
visualisations to focus users on key performance issues that can otherwise
go unnoticed for years.
We are transforming the way property manages can manage their
buildings. Our customers love how our software helps them to save serious
amounts in energy and maintenance costs while improving the comfort and
well-being of building occupants.
Demand Logic has built an industry leading embedded data acquisition device
(DAD) capable of streaming large volumes of data direct from building
controls systems. Ensuring our fleet of DADs run smoothly is critical to our
Your job as a member of the infrastructure & architecture team is to
administer our data acquisition device (DAD) fleet, improve on their
architecture for simpler maintenance, and to scale their management systems.
You will also contribute to the design and development of the next
generation of DADs.
You will be fully involved in the entire software development lifecycle,
with plenty of opportunities to take the lead on various aspects of the work
and the freedom to suggest new tools, techniques and processes.
Pair-programming and mutual code-review are daily practises.
This is an incredible time to be working in our field and Demand Logic is
beautifully placed to shape the change. Join our talented and inspiring
team and you will play a crucial role in making a real difference.
We’re looking for an experienced engineer excited by the challenges of
rapidly scaling a fleet of embedded IoT devices and gateways.
Skills and experience
- You have an infrastructure mindset. It makes you proud and happy that your
work ensures the steady stream of raw data from thousands of the largest
commercial buildings into our databases.
- You pay attention to detail without forgetting the bigger picture.
- You have experience with:
- embedded devices hardware and software
- Linux system administration, preferably Debian or Ubuntu
- building Linux binaries for target platforms
- The shell prompt is your home.
- You are familiar with Python scripting.
- You enjoy learning from others and sharing your knowledge with your
- You’re comfortable with real-time online communication (chat, video) and
project & task management.
- DevOps best practises like automation and monitoring guide your work
- You have worked with an embedded Linux distribution, e.g. Ubuntu
Core/Snap, Yocto, Raspian or Wind River Linux
- You are somewhat familiar with a configuration/deployment/orchestration
management tool, e.g. Chef, Puppet, SaltStack or Ansible
- You have come across HVAC or IoT protocols or standards, e.g. BACnet,
Haystack, or MQTT
- You have packaged software, e.g. Python wheel/pip, DEB, RPM or Snap
- You have an understanding of mobile data services (3G/UMTS and LTE)
- You have a basic understanding of electronics, e.g. the design of an
uninterruptible power supply (UPS)
- You have used system virtualization or emulation (libvirt/qemu/kvm), or
- You are an open source contributor
- You know how to be a considerate and helpful part of a geographically
Demand Logic is an engineering-led company, so we appreciate any and all
technical capability. If you’re interested in other technical disciplines,
that’s a plus.
Our technology stack
- Industrial embedded board with x86-32 CPU and mostly standard components
- Debian and Ubuntu
- Saltstack for config management
- Docker for service sandboxing
- libvirt/KVM/qemu for testing and building
- AMQP (RabbitMQ) as message bus
Join us and you’ll enjoy
- Flexible hours
- Working from home
- 25 days holiday pro-rata per year from the start
- Pension contribution
- Child care vouchers
- Beautiful offices overlooking the Lee Navigation canal, 5 mins
from Hackney Wick or from Stratford International station by
courtesy shuttle bus
- Access to a vibrant social calendar through our co-working space,
- Free health and fitness classes (pilates, capoeira, HIIT,
- Free pizza and beer evening every month
- Coffee and pastry Thursdays
How to apply
Please send your CV and a covering letter, detailing why you think
you would be suitable for the position, to:
Please use the job title and reference number as your email
subject line. (No agencies, please.)
Diversity, equality, inclusion
We are an equal opportunities employer and welcome applications from
all suitably qualified persons regardless of their race, gender,
disability, religion/belief, sexual orientation or age.
We positively encourage applications from groups typically
underrepresented in STEM.